Saturday, June 18, 2011

Daddy's Little Girl

In Honor of Father's Day...


I thought I'd write about the man pictured above.
My Daddy.

There are 9 million things I could say about my dad and they'd all be good things. 

For those of you who don't know, I'm the youngest of my dad's four children. There is Richey, the oldest, Kevin, Tim, and then ME, the baby. I came along late in life. My dad was was 55 years old and my mother 38 years old. Truth be told though, I wouldn't have wanted any other way had I had the option to choose.

A father is different for everyone. Nobody's father can ever compare to anyone else's. For me, my father is my absolute best friend on the entire planet. Not just because I was always privileged to have things I wanted or do things I wanted to do, but because my dad always expected the best from me and what was right from me.
So here is a list of things I'll never forget about my father, and you may not either:
  1. "You the best baby"- Translation: a) You're as good (at whatever your doing) as you want to be. b) I believe in you.
  2. Education- My dad has insisted my entire life that I make the honor roll and get a college education. As I entire my last year of college, I NOW understand why.
  3. "How many times do I have to tell you baby? I've only been wrong once in my life; I thought I was wrong when I was right." -Translation: You're not going to win this argument, give up. 
  4. Hard work pays off- Whether you become a millionaire or get something you've always dreamed about nothing bad every comes out of giving something your all.
  5. Be a leader- My dad has always led by example. I hope I do to. Never take the back seat to anything especially if you know you can handle it. 
  6. Even when my dad was 67 years old he got out in the yard and practiced basketball or tennis with me. Nothing, not even health, kept him from "playing"sports with me. Even though my dad is older he made sure I had a "normal" childhood and got to enjoy the things kids with "younger" parents got to enjoy. 
  7. He took me to the beach numerous times, just so I could go. My dad despises the beach. Lol.
  8. I got to go on every trip  my parents took after they retired. My dad made me a world traveler; Alaska, Missouri, Tennessee, Georgia, Washington D.C., Virginia, Florida, South Carolina, Mexico, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, and England. (Not counting the places I've been without them)
  9. Don't leave the house without ironing your clothes- For those of you who know my dad, unless he's working he never goes anywhere without ironed khakis and a polo. 
  10. Look your best for a wedding, funeral or church. It's a sign of respect.
  11. Put others first- There is nothing in your life that can't wait. Take care of others, then yourself. The best example of this I can remember is my dad putting his life on hold to take care of my aunt as she was dying of pancreatic cancer and then shortly after going to live with my brother in Atlanta who was diagnosed with throat cancer. 
  12. Money is not everything, nor is it happiness.
  13. A few close friends are better than an army of "friends".
  14. Watching "Sanford and Sons" and then my dad faking a heart attack. hahaha
  15. "Cheers" every Thursday at 8 p.m.
  16. Alabama Football Stories.
  17. The Card Magician and "Wizard."
I could go on forever......

   18.  "I'm proud of you"


   19.  "Here's an extra $20 just in case... don't tell your mama."



   20. "I LOVE YOU"- This saying means more than the other 19 combined. My dad is my first love! No one can ever replace him, not even a husband... it just could never compare.


I could list 20 million things I'll never forget about my dad, but there is just simply not enough room. So this Father's Day tell your dad you love him, if he's already passed on send some love to him in a prayer, or simply tell someone else you love them because that's what your dad would have wanted you to do.

Dad-
Happy Father's Day! I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful daddy in my life. Thank you for everything you do for me and for everything you've ever taught me! I love you more than words can ever explain. I don't know if I've ever told you but if I have a son one day I hope he grows up to be just like you. That would be the most perfect gift ever!


I love you beyond measure,
Karah






1 comment:

  1. Karah beara, this is so sweet! I love Papa Wayne just like my own! God surely blessed us both with wonderful dads!!
    I must say, #1, #3, #16, #17 and #19 hold a special place in my heart! I love that man! And you!

    ReplyDelete